Hey All! This healthy sweet potato breakfast quiche couldn’t have come to me at a better time. With a full weekend of apartment hunting, Brett and I needed a quick and filling meal to get us through the day and this recipe came through big time! Can I say it’s what helped us find our dream apartment? I won’t go that far, but it definitely made the process a lot easier! Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the full recipe- I now make it so that you can print the recipe straight off the blog so check it out and let me know your thoughts! Now- let’s get cookin’-
First things first- to make this quiche you’re going to need a glass pie dish. If you don’t have one and are looking for one like mine- have a gander at the fancy Amazon carousel I made for you- it took me forever and I’m (sadly) super proud I figured it out for you guys!
[amazon_link asins=’B00R396GOA,B0069KDUXO,B00LGLHZNM’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’105445-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’c17f889e-099f-11e7-bf86-51ab899528d7′]
*These are affiliate links which means if you purchase any of the items on this carousel I may make a small commission from Amazon (this is how bloggers make money y’all)
The ingredients are really what make this quiche shine. I looked up tons of recipes before I created my own and what I really wanted to execute was a healthy quiche, but one that had LOTS of flavor. The sage and garlic powder definitely bring out the onion and turkey sausage, and the Daiya cheese gives you the gooeyness you want without the dairy. Same goes for the coconut milk- this quiche is dairy free and I’m proud to say that it doesn’t taste so!
[amazon_link asins=’B00CHUIAD0,B01N45LM6F,B00K1KUXB0′ template=’ProductAd’ store=’105445-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1c86cbc8-09a1-11e7-acf7-8f8ff0fc5b59′]
Once you’ve sprayed your baking dish with coconut oil, slice and place your sweet potato crust as so:While the crust is pre-baking, brown the turkey sausage until cooked through. Make sure to drain the excess liquid and fat from the sausage by placing it on a paper towel- this is key to insuring your quiche isn’t mushy.Sauté your onions until slightly brown and then add in your spinach.Then add the sausage back in and season. Don’t be afraid to add that flavor! I’d go heavy with the sage.Next- remove your crust from the oven. It should be slightly brown and smell amazing.Pile your sausage mixture on top of the crust and let it sit while you combine your wet ingredients. Note* you WILL have extra mixture- which is phenomenal in omelettes. Whisk your eggs, coconut milk, and Daiya cheddar cheese together in a bowl and top with some pepper. Pour your mixture over the quiche and top with a little more pepper. The Daiya cheese did fall last but this ended up working quite nicely.Bake your quiche until you see that GBD and smell heaven coming from the oven. (20-25 mins) As the quiche cools it will deflate slightly- totally normal.Because you’re using a glass baking dish you can keep track of your crust and make sure it’s not burning!And because I can’t help myself… here’s a close up of this gooey-licious beaut.You can serve your quiche warm from the oven with a light and citrusy salad, or save it for breakfast and quickly warm it up in the oven/microwave.We ate the quiche 3 days in a row and every time it was just as delicious! Checkout that side view.As always- share the love by sharing this post and leave me a comment below! I now use Disqus for comments so it should be easier than ever to leave me some love at the bottom.
- 1 Sweet Potato- sliced thin
- 4-6 Eggs
- ¼ Cup shredded Daiya cheddar cheese
- ⅓ Cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Package uncooked turkey sausage (I used Jennie-O)
- ¾ Box baby spinach (Organic)
- 1 White onion- chopped
- Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Slice your sweet potato into small rounds and cover the bottom of a greased pie dish (I grease with coconut oil) - you're making the "crust here" so cover as much of the bottom as you can. Cut half moons to make the sides of the crust. Spray tops of sweet potato rounds with more coconut oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in over and cook until sweet potatoes are just starting to turn golden. (15-20 mins)
- While your crust is pre-baking, brown turkey sausage in a skillet and place off to the side on some paper towel to drain the excess liquid/fat.
- Saute onions until slightly brown, and add in spinach. Once cooked through, add back in turkey sausage and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and sage to your liking. (I use about ¼-1/2 tsp each)
- Pull crust out of oven and top with seasoned sausage/onion/spinach mixture. Let sit while you whisk together wet ingredients. Turn down oven heat slightly to 375 F.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut milk, Daiya cheddar cheese and pepper. Pour over quiche mixture and top with more pepper.
- Bake at 375 F for about 20-25 minutes. When it's time to pull it out you'll see golden brown edges, melted cheese and lots of fluff.
- Serve warm with a side salad for lunch or let cool and slice up for weekday breakfast! Enjoy!
Big fan of GF/DF recipes? Here’s my latest paleo recipe- I’m makin’ waffles!