Don’t get me wrong, I am a firm believer in the concepts of “treat yo self” “rosé all day” and YOLO, but I also believe in the 80/20 rule, so during the week I like to shift my focus to healthy alternatives that taste just as good as the treat I’m craving. I figured I can’t be alone in this feeling, so without further adieu, here are my top five tasty alternatives that curb my cravings, while keeping me on track:
1. Bone broth- There’s something extremely comforting about sipping warm bone broth from a mug. If I’m craving something salty, I lean towards bone broth over a salty snack, because it actually helps decrease inflammation, instead of increasing it with the sodium from a chip or pretzel.
2. Dairy-Free Ice Cream- There’s not much to this one, sometimes a girl needs her ice cream. But if you want to avoid the mid-week bloat that typically hits hard after diary, try a non-dairy ice cream bar like the ones from the So Coconut brand. The crunch and flavor are there, but the bloating is not, and with a pre-portioned bar you can’t go overboard. It’s a win-win-win.
3. Apple Cider Tea*- I know I know I know I know, it’s SO not fall yet but I seriously crave apple cider, especially when the weather is a little gloomy. Enter- apple cider tea*. Apple cider itself is a treat but can be extremely sugary, so head to the grocery store and pick up some apple cider tea. If you can smell it through the box- it will be strong enough once brewed to satisfy your sweet tooth. Add in some cinnamon or coconut sugar for added sweetness, because YOLO.
4. Ghee– sometimes I really want something buttery, but for me, butter is the worstttt when it comes to my tummy. Like- instant gas friends. (Yeah, I said it.) So when I want something rich but don’t want to feel like a bowling ball I swap my olive oil for ghee and feel like I’m indulging when really, I’m using something better for me, with the benefit of added good fats.
5. Peanut Butter Drizzle- So this is a trick more than a swap, but taking a small amount of peanut butter melting it, and dripping it from a spoon gives you peanut butter drizzle! Drizzling peanut butter onto fruit, granola, or even some dairy-free ice cream allows me to enjoy your treat (added protein yay) while keeping the portion small enough not to feel like I’m cheating.
What are some of your craving hacks?? Leave a comment down below so we can all share our tricks and tips!
And as always, sharing is caring. Smash those like buttons below to share this post! AND check out the Life’s A Beacham Youtube channel, now linked via the social buttons at the top!
Top- American Eagle
Shorts- American Eagle
Shoes- Jack Rogers (Nordstrom Rack)